Looking back at the proposed Coker in Wright County
Wright County, Missouri is currently home to the four incorporated towns of Hartville, Mansfield, Norwood and Mountain Grove as well as a host of smaller communities.
While its growth may have indeed developed along the main line of the Frisco Railroad from Springfield to Memphis, and the Ozark Trail that led from Springfield to St. Louis; the original settlement in the county had no rail service.
Hartville, the oldest town in Wright County, was established Jan. 29, 1841, as the county seat, and continues in that capacity today.
However, in early May of 1913 a proposed new town was to be located three miles east of Mansfield on the 1040-acre farm owned by Mr. G. W. Miller.
A contract existed between Mr. Miller and a kiln in Springfield. He was to furnish them with approximately 4,000 cords of wood. To do so, he employed 15 to 25 workers and was said to have a goal of cutting 30 cords per day.
Due to the volume of anticipated business, a railroad switch was constructed. Mr. Miller provided the hacked railroad ties and did the necessary grading while the railroad furnished the rails. The Frisco dubbed the location, Coker.
A few weeks later Mansfield was selected to host the District Grand Army of the Republic (G. A. R.) Reunion. Coker was one of the suggested sites along with what was known as the old croquet grounds offered by J. D. Reynolds.
The Reunion was slated to be held at the same time as the Stock Show and carnival. Mr. G. W. Miller offered for free, all the wood that would be needed for the Civil War Veterans’ campfires.
As with any job requiring hard physical labor yet offering limited, if any, protection; numerous foot, leg, and eye injuries resulted. But Coker also saw its share of good times.
It was the site of many local ball games and community members enjoyed exploring the cave and camping there overnight. However, it was also the site of several derailments, even delaying Frisco’s passenger service.
One such incident occurred in April 1915, as a crowd of young people from Mansfield reportedly walked to view the wreckage.
In June of 1916, weeks in advance of the upcoming Coker Land Sale, Mr. G. W. Miller began running full-page auction ads in both the Mansfield Mirror and the Springfield papers as well as canvassing the Seymour, Ava, and Hartville areas.
Coker had been sub-divided into smaller tracts and the streets named. Some of the land was still in timber while other sections had been planted in rye, orchard grass, corn and fruit trees. Free railroad fare, up to 150 miles, was promised by Mr. Miller to the purchaser of 80 acres. And a free lot was promised to any couple married on the grounds.
The Mirror reported that it had been suggested that Mansfield’s businesses close that day to allow everyone to attend the sale.
Dinner on the grounds and a brass band, no doubt, provided a festive air. Unfortunately, the Coker Land Sale was canceled. Eight lots had been auctioned off, but the bids were apparently too low.
The buyers were identified as A. Perkins, of Mountain Grove; Sidney Barnett, of Norwood; John Hight, of Mansfield; S. H. Robertson, of Norwood; C. W. and F. L. Beach, Amos Roy, R. P. Williams, of Mansfield; and W. R. Deaver, also of Mansfield.
Families that have lived in Mansfield for generations have been genuinely surprised that this ghost town existed. Rollan Stewart who grew up in this area believes that this would have been near what we locals call The China Pig Hole, between Mansfield and Macomb. (Source: The State Historical Society of Missouri Digitized Newspapers Collection)
